Today in the kitchen…. I’m making homemade Vanilla Extract! There is absolutely no comparison with the store bought stuff! After six weeks of occasional shaking it will be ready to flavor enhance my baked goods!
Homemade Vanilla Extract
- 5 vanilla beans
- 8 ounces bourbon or vodka
- Split the vanilla beans lengthwise with a knife, leaving the top connected. Place the beans in an 8.5 to 10 oz swing top bottle with a tight-fitting top.
- Pour bourbon or vodka over the vanilla beans. Seal the bottle and shake well.
- Put in a cool place without direct sunlight. Shake the bottle once or twice for 6 to 8 weeks. Letting it cure even longer will allow the vanilla flavor to continue to develop.
- You can tell if the extract is ready by smell. If it smells more like vanilla and less like alcohol then it is ready to use in your recipes.
Vanilla extract will keep for many months when stored at room temperature and out of direct sunlight.
I like to have two bottles curing at all times so that I never run out of vanilla extract.